Sunday, August 25, 2013

Those Duck Guys


At the office last week, a conversation ensued about reality TV, which I rarely catch.  I spent six months in Florida earlier this year, and said for all to hear that THAT was the best reality and an evening walk on the beach beat anything on the tube.

Well . . . perhaps with the exception of one show. Duck Dynasty.

I started rattling off all the reasons I love the show that has exploded in viewership -- even among those who would make fun of these self-described "millionaire rednecks."

"They are themselves," "they love guns," "they are grounded and down-to-Earth," and "they love guns," were among my arguments for watching. This week, a writer commented with the 5 Top Reasons Why Duck Dynasty Is A Great All-American Show. With only a couple small deviations, I concur with the majority of his logic and reasoning. With some different words, he hit on my three main ideas, and added a couple more. Even their core faith does not bother me, because it is theirs. Its how they live. And those Christianity and faith is mentioned pretty much in every episode, millions tune in each week. It has even beat Fox's American Idol, ABC's Modern Family, and CBS's new fall hit Under the Dome.

The geniu$ who talked the exec$ at Art$ & Entertainment network into airing an un$cripted $how ba$ed on the Duckmen of Lousiana (famou$ on the Outdoor Channel and Youtube videos) $hould be $itting pretty right about now, IMHO.

Miss Kay has grown on me. Willie's frustration makes me laugh, but the man figured out early how to exploit new means to market the Duck Commander brand. Phil's early sticktoitiveness and unwillingness to quit pushing his calls on people who thought he was crazy (I think Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame experienced the same) is instructive and motivates me.

A close friend and I were discussing DD some months back. I mentioned I had started watching it. I said there is one bro I really relate to. She interrupted, immediately stating who I am drawn to. And was correct. Jase, the prankster, gives ongoing, dry and often sarcastic commentary in a tone of logic and reason to which I can totally relate.

Gotta have a dark sense of humor, and a bit of Captain Obvious inside to get it . . .

And when a Duck Dynasty episode airs, either new or in rerun, I am Happy Happy Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment